Due to expansion, we are currently looking for an electrical design engineer to join our growing design department.
P & I are a family run business based in Havant, Hampshire. As critical power specialists, we design and build control systems in-house for the prime power industry. In addition, we design and build upgrade systems for diesel/gas generators, automatic changeover switchgear to 4000A and full control systems bespoke to our customers’ requirements. We also supply and support high voltage generation and switchgear for our customers as required.
Suitable candidates should be qualified to HNC/degree level in electrical/electronic engineering principles and ideally experienced in power principles, industrial automation electronics and AutoCAD drafting tools. Training and support can be given to suitable applicants not from the power industry.
Responsible for taking standard and bespoke designs from concept through to production, whether in-house or by sub-contractor. To communicate effectively with production and the projects department to ensure budget and timelines are adhered to. Work closely with the sales department as required on any new business that needs input from the Design department. During commissioning of a system to supply full support remotely and on site as and when required.
Duties/Responsibilities to include but not limited to are;
- Produce complete designs of electrical systems for electrical power applications including, but not limited to control panels, control stations, generator controllers and electrical installation/distribution
- Provide design and engineering support for both low (LV) and high (HV) voltage applications
- Use CAD related programmes to produce designs and circuit diagrams.
- Develop full scale project plans and associated documents/test certificates/OEM manuals
- Identify resources required for the project build
- Provide technical support and troubleshoot electrical systems and offer practical solutions to problems encountered
- Ensure procedures are complied with and control the use of all drawings
- Keep accurate records of designs
- Effectively communicate design and project expectations to team members
- Assist with estimating and budget for the resources and labour required to achieve design project goals
- Plan and schedule project timelines using appropriate tools to ensure on time and on budget delivery
- Meet deadlines and budgets as agreed with the Design and Development Manager
- Develop and deliver project reports and project success by cost and tracking project profit reviews
- Manage changes in project scope and identify potential profit opportunities or changes that may affect project profit margins
- Be conversant with national and international standards associated with electrical power requirements
- Prepare risk and method statements and ensure all relevant paperwork is completed
- Monitor site safety/company policies and ensure they are conformed to
- Attend meetings to determine and agree specifications, develop and grow business relationships with new and existing customers
- Utilise best practice/efficient design and manufacturing techniques
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety requirements
- Assist in the training and development of junior engineers and apprentices
- Ensure good housekeeping practises are consistently maintained
- Carryout any other reasonable duties or tasks as determined by the needs of the business
- Attend training to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills and continually and actively increase technical and product knowledge
- Communicate with all customers, suppliers and internal staff with a courteous and professional manner at all times
If this sounds like to role for you, please send your CV to Alan Blair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*No recruitment agencies please*